Children’s skin is more sensitive and delicate than the skin of adults . That is why some fabrics can cause allergies, abrasions and lack of comfort when used by a toddler. When choosing children’s clothes and bedding, we should pay special attention to the composition specified on the label. Let’s check what children’s fabrics to choose so that they are completely safe for the child.
What features should materials intended for children have?
Fabrics from which children’s clothes and bedding are made should have special features. Of course, the most important thing is the natural composition, but there are a few more parameters that are equally important for the sensitive skin of a child.
- Softness and delicacy – these are the features thanks to which the child will not suffer any skin scrapes.
- Natural composition – prevents allergies and allergies. The fabric, free from artificial admixtures, is completely safe for the child.
- Drainage of moisture – thanks to this, the fabric will not be wet and sticky when the child sweats.
- Flexibility – it does not restrict movement and allows for perfect adaptation to the shape of the baby’s body.
- Air circulation – the breathability of the fabric and optimal ventilation of the baby is important at every stage of his life.
- Thermal insulation – the fabric should protect the child from the cold.
Cotton for children’s bedding
Cotton is the best choice for baby bedding. It is important that the material does not contain any admixtures of artificial fibers and that it is dyed with natural dyes. Heavyweight cotton is best for blankets, sheets, duvets and pillows. Cotton fibers show high resistance to extreme temperatures, so we can successfully wash them at high temperatures, ensuring proper disinfection of fabrics. High-grammage cotton is also extremely resistant to mechanical damage and does not deform during washing and ironing. Great absorbability of dyes guarantees vivid colors that please the eye of the baby and mother for a long time. Motifs and patterns dedicated to children awaken the child’s curiosity and imagination, while decorating his room. Cotton comes in many types,however, it is best to choose bedding for a baby:
- flannel – characterized by a delicate, fluffy fluff, which causes exceptional softness, delicacy and fluffiness;
- bark – has a textured surface, it is perfect for older children, as it does not require ironing;
- satin cotton – perfect for summer bedding, it is thin, airy and cool to the touch;
- calico – it has a tight weave of round threads, the fabric is thick, but pleasant to the touch, requires ironing.
Cotton is also perfect as a fabric from which children’s clothes are sewn.
If not cotton, then what?
Not only cotton guarantees the safety of the baby. Among the many options, it is worth choosing one tested in terms of the comfort of use by a child. The fabric called Minky , which is made of the latest generation polyester fibers, is perfect for blankets. Its softness and fluffiness, as well as easy cleaning and optimal thermal insulation properties ensure maximum comfort for the child from the first days of life. Another children’s fabric that is well known to our grandmothers and moms is tetra . To this day, it is made of diapers that are completely safe for children . It is very breathable, very absorbent and soft to the touch. Tetra can also act as a washcloth, towel, or act as an anti-skid when placed on the bottom of the bathtub while bathing. Linen , right after cotton, is an almost perfect children’s fabric. Linen is hypoallergenic, antibacterial and airy, which prevents the formation of prickly heat in a child. It is suitable for sewing clothes, bedding and children’s toys. In combination with cotton, it creates a great background for creating warm natural blankets and bedspreads.
Certificates are important
All children’s fabrics should be absolutely certified. The most famous certificate found on the labels of clothes, bedding or toys is the OEKO-TEX standard 100 certificate. It is an international certificate, so we can meet it not only in Poland, but all over the world. The certificate guarantees full safety of the raw materials used for the product. The fabrics used for production are free from any harmful and toxic substances, such as artificial sensitizing dyes, heavy metals, formaldehydes, pesticides or chlorophenols. This approval is granted only to those products that have used only safe components throughout the entire production cycle. There are controls in the production process, the results of which must be positive. This means that when buying bedding with the OEKO-TEX standard 100 Certificate, we can be sure thatthat each of its components, from fabric, through threads, to buttons, is tested and completely safe. Nowadays, there are over 100 criteria that products must comply with in order to obtain the OEKO-TEX standard 100 Certificate. It is worth buying safe products for children with this certificate.